Saturday, December 02, 2006

Google Docs and Spreadsheets

I just ran across a great tool in Google Accounts that I was not previously aware of. It's called Docs and Spreadsheets. I was reading the Silicon Valley Web Guild's User Experience Blog, authored by
Reshma Kumar, WebGuild Vice President and User Experience Forum Chair. She mentioned it in one of her posts, and I thought it was worth a look.

With Google Docs and Spreadsheets you can create, collaborate, share and publish documents and spreadsheets online. You can save the documents in Microsoft Word format, or PDF format, which got my attention. Unfortunately, on my first test I include an image in the document, and when saving as PDF, the image wasn't included. The text looked fine though.

The spreadsheet interface looks like Microsoft Excel, and you can export it do the same basic formats that you can with Excel, including .xls.

Overall a great tool. I'm on the bottom of the learning curve right now, so maybe the solution to the image problem will come as become more familiar with the tool.

No comments: